Saturday, September 29, 2012

Day 4 Session 3: What it means to be a Christian


I guess every Saturday night will be a rainy one. God showers His grace, and we are blessed to receive it.

It was quite a quiet day as there were only 6 of us (participants) for this session. Could be attributed to the continuous downpour, I assume. I hope that we’ll gain numbers again by next week.
The talk started at around 8 in the evening. Again, I seem to recall the praise songs we had that night. It’s time to sing once more:

We will rise
We will run
We will exalt the name of Jesus
By His blood we overcome
We will sing
We will dance
Come on and celebrate the kingdom of our God
==
There’s nothing more I want
There’s nothing more I need
There’s nothing more I want
There’s nothing more I need
Than to be with You
==
Lord I wanna be in heaven with You
Right by your side I stay
Worshipping you all day
I will live and die for you
Anything I will do
For Heaven is here in my heart…

Bro. Sid, the former Chapter Head, conducted the talk. He started by sharing how he have been invited to do the talk on the same topic three times already, but could not make the first two. God is good, for he felt that he was really meant to share his thoughts on the theme, and has finally done it with us. His talk revolved on three parts: misconceptions, essence, and practical implications of Christianity in our lives. I for one have experienced/believed the misconceptions or incomplete notions about Christianity. It is not a mere religious, moral, social or humanitarian system. It is not even an escape to the realities of life. We tend to think about it in one or more of the following. What we fail to see is that there is a deeper meaning to being a Christian. Being a Christian means a union with God, made possible through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ (as what was mentioned in Talk 2). It is about accepting God in our lives, making Him lead it. He has a good plan for us after all (Jr: 29:11-13). God is our Father; we are all brothers and sisters. We should not worry for God will provide for us (Lk 12:22-31).
While hearing these bible verses and insights, I remembered the retreat I previously had at Tagaytay. These are the same verses I have read and pondered in those two days of solitude. I was glad to hear them again. Since then, I’ve been feeling better, for I know “heaven is here in my heart”.  And of all the things I really appreciate right now is the peace and joy in my heart despite anything that happens around me. I feel like I’m doing better at work and in my relationship with other people with this peace and joy. At times, negative thoughts are trying to creep in my mind. This same peace and joy helps me overpower those negative thoughts and see the brighter side of things. Also, this will keep my heart happy and contented although I just failed to reach something that only exists in my dreams. It is God’s will, so be it. I believe He has a better plan for me. :)

The first module is almost done. See you in Session 4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment