Saturday, January 9, 2010

remembering something 3 years ago

January 9. 2010.

Haven't noticed it. Then, it's been 3 years since I got that item, actually, a pair. (My bestfriend once told me when I thought of sending her a present that it would be nice if I can give a pair of any item. One will be hers, and the other will be mine, so we will still have some sort of connection. Thanks to that idea, though I failed to give her the same (cause I already had something different for her, too bad her message came in a few hours late). The good thing, I find this useful for another person.

Yeah, it's the Feast of the Black Nazarene. I'm not a fanatic or a devotee. I never thought of going with the crowd (might happen someday, who knows) to take a look or wipe my hankie so I can be blessed by the image. It just happened that in that particular day 3 years ago, I incidentally had been in Quiapo after visiting my hospitalized father back on his first mild stroke attack. I was still in my school uniform back then, along with my sister and his husband, and some relatives who also went to visit my father. Making our way back home, knowing that it is the Feast in Quiapo, we decided to pass by and take part in attending the 7 o'clock mass outside the famous church.

It was my first time to be there. I expected that there will be a lot of people gathering around, after all it is that day of the year. Besides I think it will still be crowded there on any given day. I walked around, keeping my eye on my companions, taking my time to find anything interesting. My uncles and aunties are already buying something as souvenirs. Then my attention was caught by those familiar armlets. I used to buy my high school friends the same during fiestas. "That will be my souvenir", I thought. Yes, so I bought one. Quite a simple item as a souvenir. After all, I can't avail of anything more than that, I'm flat broke =p.

Having thought of someone, I got another armlet. The same color and size. So, that might work as a pair. Remembering what my bestfriend told me before, if I can give the other one to someone, then I will somehow have a connection with her for a "period".

Taking the pair with me back home, I decided to give the other to the person whom I consider the most important one for me during that time. The day after, during our usual time together at school, I gave it to her as just a casual item. Something like "lending" those leeches sheets of yellow paper when our instructor announces seatworks and quizzes. I wore my armlet, and she kept hers in her bag (I wonder if she ever wore that even once). I have that with me for quite sometime, with the promise to myself that I will make the other person with its "pair" happy all the time.

Some time passed, she went away. I kept wearing those until the "lock" was untied. I tried fixing it but it seems that I don't know how. I have not worn it since then. One by one, the laces kept on loosening. No matter how I tried setting them back in its old form, I always failed. Someday, I'm gonna find a way to fix it and make it look like new.

To date, I still have that item I've got three years ago. It was preserved in my so-called "memory box". I have no idea where the other half of the pair is. A part of me is hoping that it is still in one piece. If so, another wish will be to see it, and another hope that the pair will never be apart again. But also, the other part of me is starting to think of permanently sealing my own item in that box, and finding a new pair for myself.

Wherever it is and whatever may happen, that other half will always be a part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment